Thursday, April 29, 2021

My New Rockwood Mini Lite 2205S Travel Trailer

On April 28, 2021 I plopped down a $1,000 deposit and ordered a Rockwood Mini Lite 2205S travel trailer from Wana RV. My wife and I have been planning and saving for this day for over 3 years. We expect delivery of the Mini Lite anywhere from August to November. 

There were many considerations in determining our purchase. I must have looked at over a hundred travel trailers before deciding that the 2205S was perfect for us. Let me detail some of my considerations.

UVW/Unloaded Vehicle Weight: The 2205S comes in at a bit over 5,100 pounds dry. I estimate I'll load the travel trailer with about 500 pounds of water, supplies and accessories. My truck has a 7,000 pound towing capacity. Going down the road with the water tanks 1/4 full, I'll be at about 5,500 pounds. That amount of weight should not over stress my truck.


Length: At under 24 feet, the Mini Lite should not be a big fat target for strong gusts of wind. That's a real concern for many RVers. Travel trailer slab surfaces are perfect sails. Obviously, a fishtailing travel trailer is no fun. I originally considered a 26 and 28 foot travel trailer, but decided a shorter one would create less headaches for my Chevrolet Colorado. A mid-size truck.

Price: My goal was to purchase a travel trailer for $25,000 plus TTL. I hit my goal perfectly. If I had a bigger budget, I would of purchased a higher end product. I've had my beady eyes on a Winnebago View 24D. That beauty lists for $185,000. Another RV I loved was the Oliver Legacy Elite 2. That Tennessee fiberglass molded travel trailer typically sells for over $65,000. Definitely out of my budget.

Construction & Amenities: You get what you pay for? In my price range you typically get fiberglass and Azdel construction plus aluminum framing, solid wood door and drawer fronts, a porcelain foot flush toilet, solid surface kitchen countertops, a DC fridge (the 2205S comes with a  Go Power190 watt solar panel, a modest charge controller and a 1,000 watt clean sine wave inverter) a residential queen bed, and in the case of the 2205S two very nice recliners. These comfy seats are in the Perfect TV Watching Position. 

In the end, I kept to my budget and limitations. I found a product that met most of my needs. The Mini Lite is a definite compromise. Like many enthusiasts, I look forward to personalizing my travel trailer. One goal is to make the Mini Lite more boondock capable. Feel free to contact me to share your suggestions, questions or comments.

Go to my RV & Travel Adventures YouTube channel. There you will find various RV reviews and details about my shopping process (including a build out sheet). Please subscribe! Thanks.