Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Bike Racks Are Expensive


 I recently purchased a Weize hitch bike rack for my truck and RV. I went to various shops searching for the perfect rack. Some racks were obviously cheap while others were priced for those with more hefty incomes.

Talking about upscale. Most bike racks at REI were in the $400 to $700 range. A bit pricy and definitely more than I was willing to pay. I finally found a rack that was both strong and functional. It was definitely not as beautiful as the high end brands Thule, Küat and Yakima.
As I like to say (I am not very original). You can't everything! So I compromised and spent $170 on a sturdy Weize rack. I have traveled with it to a pair of Texas state parks and nearby cycling trails. So far, it has held up rather nicely for hundreds of smooth and a few bumpy miles.
By the way, the bumpiest road I have driven on that tested the metal of the Weize rack is a few blocks from my house. Hulen Street, is shockingly bumpy for about a block. That road has tossed my truck around, but my rack survived without a crack or issue.
I look forward to thousands of highway miles lugging our bikes. Fun times ahead. Cycling! RVing!